Mission Call

Mission Call

Monday, August 1, 2016

The Gift of Being Broken‏

So, I read this talk earlier and I really really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd share: The Gift of Being Broken. It truly is a gift to be broken, because you learn to know your Savior. "And with His stripes, I am healed." (Isaiah 53:5). He truly does heal you. I KNOW that. It's fact to me, no doubt about it. And I love Him more and more each day I get to experience His healing, help, and love. I hope you enjoy this talk as well! 
This week was just as phenomenal as most! We started the week with a zone training focused on teaching by the Spirit and Obedience. We can always use more and more reminders about obedience. I truly love that topic :) 
We also got to go shopping with our Recent Convert Teresa. She had to buy some clothes for her friend's funeral, so she reached out to us and we were able to come with :) She's so strong. She even bore her testimony on how she came back to God since we've met with her during Gospel Principles class on Sunday. She went from being super shy and closed off to open and willing to share her experience. The gospel truly changes people. 
We got to pig out at Golden Corral two days in a row this week... I better stick to my workout routine! Ha-ha. Food is always great :) So, funny story: we were visiting a former investigator who just had a baby two weeks ago, and she was remembering her expensive stroller she left outside; so, she decided to hand me the baby (she more like threw the baby in my arms.... in the most gentle way possible) and ran outside to get it. So, here I am, holding a baby... just totally breaking the missionary rules. And there was nothing I could really do about it. I'm not going to just drop the baby, of course. So, I sat there, mortified, and waited until she got back. Sister Hokafonu got a really good (really ugly) picture of me holding her ha-ha. The things that mortify missionaries...
We also got talking with a lady at Golden Corral who was in her 50s'. She told us she had missionaries over at her house when she was a teenager and LOVED having them. She REMEMBERED THE MISSIONARIES! Her family never accepted the gospel, but she was telling us of how good she felt whenever they were over. We got her info and passed her on to the sisters in her area to see. Cool little random miracle. 
On Thursday it started pouring rain and we got caught in it. But we were able to get into Sandra's house to go over the baptismal interview questions. She also invited our investigator Tearra, her caregiver, to be baptized as we were going over the questions ha-ha. She doesn't sugarcoat things. She was telling Tearra all the things she'd have to do to get baptized, and, get this, she said yes! And she's moving into an apartment right next to ours! SO she'll be within walking distance :) YAY! God's tender mercies are everywhere! 
We also picked up a new family of 4! The Jones family! They'd met with missionaries before, so we stopped by and starting talking with them. I met them while I was with Sister Bindrup, but it's been pretty off and on with them. They couldn't come to church this week due to a birthday party, but we've been in constant communication with them and they are all in! They still expressed their desire to be baptized, and we answered some of their concerns about coming to church. They seem to be all set, but I'm sure they need lots and lots of prayers! 
I think the biggest and best part of the week happened on Saturday. We got to go to a baptism in the Jones Falls ward (it neighbors our ward) and visit with President Christiansen a bit! Sandra came with us to have her baptismal interview with President and they were talking for AN HOUR! A missionary really starts to get worried by this time, but, then again, it's President. And we all know he likes to talk :) But, SANDRA PASSED!!!! She's getting baptized this Saturday on August 6th! YAAYAYAYAYAY!! She's truly repentant. I love her so much :) Oh missionary work is the best! I'm so lucky to be serving here and to be able to witness all these miracles. There isn't a single place I'd rather be right now. I learn so much every day and I just wish I could share them all with you. I often get people who ask me why I serve a mission. There are a million different reasons why I chose to serve, but Elder Bednar explains one of them just perfectly in his talk "Come and See," a talk I would invite all of you to read, member or nonmember. He says," When we invite you to attend church with us or to learn with the full-time missionaries, we are not trying to sell you a product... we do not receive prizes or bonus points in a Heavenly contest. We are not seeking simple to increase the numerical size of the church... we are not attempting to coerce you to believe as we do. We are inviting you to hear the restored truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ so you can study, ponder, pray and come to know for yourself if the things we are sharing with you are true." The magical thing about my job is that God calls the weak and simple to work with Him. That's why He called me. I'm definitely one of those weak and simple. As missionaries we tell people NOT to take our word for it. Instead, we ask them to pray. Ask God with a sincere heart and contrite spirit. If we can help people actually pray, our job is done. That's how I KNOW this has to be God's church. It has to be true. There is no harm in trying it out. Trying to pray. Trying church. There is no harm, but there are great blessings. I know there is a God who LOVES you. He is aware of YOU. It is no mere accident that there is life on this Earth. Divinity is the ultimate answer. 
If you have questions or concerns, please ask me or another member of the church around you. There are NO strings attached. Our friendship will not be severed if you do not accept the gospel or chose to live it, but our friendship will be strengthened as we grow together. I love you and I'm grateful to be able to call you friends. Family. Know that you are often thought about. Each and every one of you. Even if you don't think I think about you, I do! And so does your Father in Heaven. I love you and I'm grateful for you.
Discover why you're here today.
Scripture of the Week: 2 Nephi 5:27
Quote of the Week: "Come what may and love it!"

Love, 

Sister Humphrey







No comments:

Post a Comment